It was decided to do this part in house. After trawling the web for hints and ideas, I thought we were quite well prepared. It looked so easy on those little youtube tutorials... the first shocker came when trying to source the various rubbers and release agents. There are hundreds. Then came the problem of containment. After all, we needed to be able to make several moulds, and with a curing time of days, they needed to be done at the same time.

  Right, so fill in half of it with plasticine, put that in an adjustable size box.. making sure it is not going to leak under any circumstances!! (and when you've paid for a few kilos of silicon, you'll quickly get the gist of making sure you don't make your boxes any bigger than you need to!)
Anyway, once all that's been done, mix your goo and pour it in carefully and leave it overnight.
  That part done comes the next bit they don't tell you about... cleaning out the plasticine! A horrid fiddly boring job. The secret ingredient to finish this off is lighter fluid (well done babe) or you'll be there forever. The problem being that the model really does not want to be disturbed under any account. We found out why later...      


Aaah.. the de moulding of the model appears to be a success! First and most complex mould done, though still quite a few to go. It's still raining, and the 3 Feb.

The first finger mould was not a success. It was clearly impossible to clean out the plasticine on the smaller mould boxes, and as well as that, the clay bones were simply too fragile at the joints to withstand the process. A major re-think was necessary.


In the end it was decided to individually mould all the finger bones in a 'sock' mould, make resin copies, bond these together and go back to the beginning.

The bone were suspended on toothpicks into a plasticine bucket, filled with silicon and left to set. 15 in all, and two that needed to be redone. Another couple of days later and we had a pile of resin bones ready.

  The ploy worked. The sock moulds were too hard for wax, but ok for resin, so back to business. It soon became clear that it was a lot more effective to make several moulds at the same time!      

  The grey models are resin finished of with primer-filler paint.      
  At last... we had the moulds, we had the wax, we were there!!      
  The first wax. What a day...      
  And the fingers were looking good!
At last, 10 weeks into the project, we were ready to go to the foundry! Spirits were high. However, they were not to remain so. A series of unfortunate events were due to unfold.
home contact-about us <--prev top next-->